by Asif Suria
Insider buying declined significantly last week with insiders buying $6.83 million of stock compared to $87.6 million in the week prior. Selling on the other hand increased with insiders selling $522.48 million of stock last week compared to $373.29 million in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week went up to 76.51. In other words, insiders sold almost 77 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares unfavorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 4.26.
We are calculating an adjusted ratio by removing transactions by funds and companies and trying as best as possible only to retain information about insiders and 10% owners who are not funds or companies.
Insider Sell Buy Ratio July 17, 2015
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Dorian LPG Ltd. (LPG): $16.39
President and CEO John C. Hadjipateras acquired 20,000 shares of this liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) shipping company, paying $16.93 per share for a total amount of $338,657. Mr. Hadjipateras increased his stake by 3.24% to 637,569 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Dorian LPG Ltd. here.
|P/E: 36.42||Forward P/E: 9.93||Industry P/E: N/A|
|P/S: 9.22||Price/Book: 1.1||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $951.55M||Avg. Daily Volume: 196,283||52 Week Range: $9.94 – $22.25|
2. Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc. (RHP): $58.11
Chairman & CEO Colin V. Reed acquired 5,669 shares of this hotel operator, paying $57.19 per share for a total amount of $324,199. Mr. Reed increased his stake by 0.63% to 902,771 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc. here.
|P/E: 29.08||Forward P/E: 18.45||Industry P/E: 23.75|
|P/S: 2.83||Price/Book: 7.97||EV/EBITDA: 16.02|
|Market Cap: $2.95B||Avg. Daily Volume: 320,606||52 Week Range: $42.73 – $64.97|
3. TetraLogic Pharmaceuticals Corporation (TLOG): $2.85
Director Andrew L. Pecora acquired 100,000 shares of this biotech company, paying $2.54 per share for a total amount of $254,034. Mr. Pecora increased his stake by 117.88% to 184,830 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for TetraLogic Pharmaceuticals Corporation here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 29.83|
|P/S: N/A||Price/Book: 2.65||EV/EBITDA: -1.38|
|Market Cap: $66.49M||Avg. Daily Volume: 293,238||52 Week Range: $1.45 – $6.3|
4. Calamos Asset Management Inc. (CLMS): $12.32
Chairman, CEO, Global Co-CIO John P. Calamos Sr. acquired 17,029 shares of this asset management company, paying $12.18 per share for a total amount of $207,469. These shares were purchased indirectly by Calamos Investments LLC.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Calamos Asset Management Inc. here.
|P/E: 20.07||Forward P/E: 21.24||Industry P/E: 17.48|
|P/S: 1.04||Price/Book: 1.09||EV/EBITDA: -3.71|
|Market Cap: $252.94M||Avg. Daily Volume: 73,064||52 Week Range: $11.15 – $14.44|
5. Genesco Inc. (GCO): $65.18
Director James S. Beard acquired 3,000 shares of this footwear and apparel company, paying $66.55 per share for a total amount of $199,636. Mr. Beard increased his stake by 20.59% to 17,568 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Genesco Inc. here.
|P/E: 16.54||Forward P/E: 12.49||Industry P/E: 22.17|
|P/S: 0.55||Price/Book: 1.58||EV/EBITDA: 6.35|
|Market Cap: $1.57B||Avg. Daily Volume: 143,237||52 Week Range: $61.07 – $89.58|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. FireEye, Inc. (FEYE): $48.07
Shares of this security software company were sold by 2 insiders:
- Chief Strategy Officer Ashar Aziz sold 188,434 shares for $49.23, generating $9.28 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
- Director Ronald E. Codd sold 3,000 shares for $48.74, generating $146,209 from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for FireEye, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 37.37|
|P/S: 15.82||Price/Book: 6.39||EV/EBITDA: -18.44|
|Market Cap: $7.51B||Avg. Daily Volume: 6,334,160||52 Week Range: $24.81 – $55.33|
2. DexCom, Inc. (DXCM): $83.79
Shares of this medical devices company were sold by 2 insiders:
- Executive Chairman Terrance H. Gregg sold 50,750 shares for $83.07, generating $4.22 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
- Director Jay S. Skyler sold 20,000 shares for $81.69, generating $1.63 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly by Skyler Bach Family Limited Partnership.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for DexCom, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 194.86||Industry P/E: 29.06|
|P/S: 23.29||Price/Book: 44.6||EV/EBITDA: -449.23|
|Market Cap: $6.64B||Avg. Daily Volume: 895,606||52 Week Range: $35.5 – $84.08|
3. Illumina Inc. (ILMN): $239.76
Shares of this genetic sequencing and analysis company were sold by 7 insiders:
- Director David R. Walt sold 10,000 shares for $227.39, generating $2.27 million from the sale.
- Sr VP & Chief Commercial Officer Christian O. Henry sold 5,390 shares for $229.61, generating $1.24 million from the sale.
- Sr VP & CFO Marc Stapley sold 3,000 shares for $214.90, generating $644,701 from the sale.2,400 of these shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- Sr VP & CTO Mostafa Ronaghi sold 3,000 shares for $227.19, generating $681,580 from the sale.
- Director Robert S. Epstein sold 2,000 shares for $219.81, generating $439,620 from the sale.These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- Chief Accounting Officer Michel Bouchard sold 1,400 shares for $222.75, generating $311,850 from the sale.
- Sr VP Product Development & Operations Omead Ostadan sold 1,110 shares for $219.81, generating $243,989 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Illumina Inc. here.
|P/E: 82.88||Forward P/E: 58.19||Industry P/E: 29.83|
|P/S: 16.81||Price/Book: 20.49||EV/EBITDA: 46|
|Market Cap: $34.55B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,341,810||52 Week Range: $145.12 – $240|
4. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM): $69.21
Shares of JP Morgan were sold by 4 insiders:
- Chief Risk Officer Ashley Bacon sold 32,882 shares for $69.07, generating $2.27 million from the sale.
- Chief Financial Officer Marianne Lake sold 32,468 shares for $69.07, generating $2.24 million from the sale.
- Managing Director Mary E. Erdoes sold 13,022 shares for $69.07, generating $899,426 from the sale.
- General Counsel Stephen M. Cutler sold 5,376 shares for $69.07, generating $371,347 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for JPMorgan Chase & Co. here.
|P/E: 12.68||Forward P/E: 10.68||Industry P/E: 13.31|
|P/S: 2.81||Price/Book: 1.2||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $256.81B||Avg. Daily Volume: 14,613,800||52 Week Range: $54.26 – $69.95|
5. Calavo Growers Inc. (CVGW): $52.73
Shares of this avocado and food products company were sold by 3 insiders:
- CEO Lecil E. Cole sold 86,162 shares for $52.13, generating $4.49 million from the sale.
- Director Link J. Leavens sold 10,000 shares for $52.00, generating $520,000 from the sale.
- Director Marc Laurence Brown sold 882 shares for $52.88, generating $46,640 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Calavo Growers Inc. here.
|P/E: 67.69||Forward P/E: 23.65||Industry P/E: 20.67|
|P/S: 1.11||Price/Book: 4.84||EV/EBITDA: 18.61|
|Market Cap: $916.61M||Avg. Daily Volume: 108,011||52 Week Range: $33.7 – $57.58|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.