by Asif Suria
Insider buying increased last week with insiders purchasing $49.28 million of their stock compared to $28.5 million in the week prior. Selling increased sharply with insiders selling $1.65 billion of stock last week compared to $675.91 million in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week went up to 33.41.
In other words, insiders sold more than 33 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares unfavorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 24.9.We are calculating an adjusted ratio by removing transactions by funds and companies and trying as best as possible only to retain information about insiders and 10% owners who are not funds or companies.
Insider Sell Buy Ratio April 4, 2014
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Intrexon Corporation (XON): $23.47
Chief Executive Officer Randal J. Kirk acquired 243,001 shares of this biotech company, paying $25.72 per share for a total amount of $6.25 million. These shares were purchased indirectly through a holding company.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Intrexon Corporation here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 335.29||Industry P/E: 20.33|
|P/S: 100.25||Price/Book: 6.49||EV/EBITDA: -43.86|
|Market Cap: $2.28B||Avg. Daily Volume: 702,116||52 Week Range: $17.52 – $38.5|
2. The Fresh Market, Inc. (TFM): $35.98
Shares of this grocery store chain were acquired by 3 insiders:
- President/CEO Craig Carlock acquired 20,000 shares, paying $33.08 per share for a total amount of $661,600. Mr. Carlock increased his stake by 10.08% to 218,349 shares with this purchase.
- Director Jeffrey G. Naylor acquired 8,000 shares, paying $32.99 per share for a total amount of $263,920. Mr. Naylor increased his stake by 116.57% to 14,863 shares with this purchase.
- Director David L. Rea acquired 3,000 shares, paying $34.35 per share for a total amount of $103,050.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for The Fresh Market, Inc. here.
|P/E: 34.27||Forward P/E: 19.24||Industry P/E: 15.5|
|P/S: 1.17||Price/Book: 6.89||EV/EBITDA: 9.94|
|Market Cap: $1.74B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,095,960||52 Week Range: $31.35 – $57.16|
3. Opko Health, Inc. (OPK): $9.19
CEO & Chairman Phillip Frost M.D. acquired 83,900 shares of this medical devices and drug development company, paying $9.23 per share for a total amount of $774,124. These shares were purchased indirectly by Frost Gamma Investments Trust.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Opko Health, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 25.14|
|P/S: 40.59||Price/Book: 4.47||EV/EBITDA: -66.76|
|Market Cap: $3.79B||Avg. Daily Volume: 3,036,860||52 Week Range: $6.14 – $12.95|
4. Retrophin, Inc. (RTRX): $19.03
Chief Executive Officer Martin Shkreli acquired 33,300 shares of this biotech company, paying $22.49 per share for a total amount of $749,057. Mr. Shkreli increased his stake by 1.13% to 2,974,680 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Retrophin, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: N/A|
|P/S: N/A||Price/Book: N/A||EV/EBITDA: -15.05|
|Market Cap: $350.44M||Avg. Daily Volume: 465,948||52 Week Range: $4.5 – $24.25|
5. Poage Bankshares, Inc. (PBSK): $14.08
Shares of this regional bank were acquired by 2 insiders:
- Director John C. Stewart Jr. acquired 21,460 shares, paying $14.05 per share for a total amount of $301,513. These shares were purchased indirectly by various entities.
- Director Thomas Burnette acquired 10,000 shares, paying $14.05 per share for a total amount of $140,500. Mr. Burnette increased his stake by 14.87% to 77,267 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Poage Bankshares, Inc. here.
|P/E: 29.09||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 23.81|
|P/S: 4.17||Price/Book: 0.78||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $43.76M||Avg. Daily Volume: 2,184||52 Week Range: $12.46 – $15.1|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. Facebook, Inc. (FB): $56.749
Shares of Facebook were sold by 3 insiders:
- Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg sold 283,334 shares for $63.04, generating $17.86 million from the sale.
- Chief Financial Officer David A. Ebersman sold 23,400 shares for $62.89, generating $1.47 million from the sale.
- Chief Accounting Officer Jas Athwal sold 3,000 shares for $60.49, generating $181,470 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Facebook, Inc. here.
|P/E: 92.88||Forward P/E: 33.78||Industry P/E: 30.06|
|P/S: 19.27||Price/Book: 9.75||EV/EBITDA: 34.01|
|Market Cap: $144.70B||Avg. Daily Volume: 62,133,900||52 Week Range: $22.67 – $72.59|
2. Kosmos Energy Ltd. (KOS): $10.75
Shares of this 0il & gas exploration and production company were sold by 3 insiders:
- Chief Exploration Officer Brian F. Maxted sold 789,022 shares for $10.97, generating $8.66 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through an entity controlled by the reporting person.
- Executive VP and CFO Greg W. Dunlevy sold 110,969 shares for $11.00, generating $1.22 million from the sale. 36,990 of these shares were sold indirectly through an entity controlled by the reporting person.
- SVP, Government Affairs William S. Hayes sold 70,000 shares for $10.94, generating $765,800 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Kosmos Energy Ltd. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 24.38|
|P/S: 4.85||Price/Book: 4.16||EV/EBITDA: 12.74|
|Market Cap: $4.06B||Avg. Daily Volume: 704,753||52 Week Range: $9.71 – $12.17|
3. REX American Resources Corporation (REX): $55.41
Shares of this ethanol producer and real estate company were sold by 2 insiders:
- COB; CEO Stuart A. Rose sold 140,000 shares for $57.12, generating $7.99 million from the sale.
- CFO; VP-Finance; Treasurer Douglas Bruggeman sold 9,895 shares for $57.90, generating $572,934 from the sale. These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for REX American Resources Corporation here.
|P/E: 12.91||Forward P/E: 10.95||Industry P/E: 20.79|
|P/S: 0.69||Price/Book: 1.65||EV/EBITDA: 6.82|
|Market Cap: $448.82M||Avg. Daily Volume: 91,771||52 Week Range: $17.12 – $63.26|
4. Kelly Services, Inc. (KELYA): $23.77
Director Terence E. Adderley sold 247,462 shares of this staffing services company for $23.70, generating $5.87 million from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Kelly Services, Inc. here.
|P/E: 15.45||Forward P/E: 13.06||Industry P/E: 57.57|
|P/S: 0.17||Price/Book: 1.13||EV/EBITDA: 9.65|
|Market Cap: $889.50M||Avg. Daily Volume: 179,538||52 Week Range: $16.32 – $26.17|
5. Seagate Technology (STX): $56.06
Chairman and CEO Stephen J. Luczo sold 100,000 shares of this data storage company for $57.00, generating $5.7 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Seagate Technology Public Limited Company here.
|P/E: 12.62||Forward P/E: 9.9||Industry P/E: N/A|
|P/S: 1.35||Price/Book: 7.56||EV/EBITDA: 6.96|
|Market Cap: $18.43B||Avg. Daily Volume: 3,708,480||52 Week Range: $33.22 – $62.76|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.
Connect with me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/asifsuria