Econintersect: Click Read more >> below graphic to see today’s list.
The top of today’s reading list discusses whether the institution puchases of single family residences for rental is a sustainable trend …….. and the last article says there has been a “roof” on the Dow for 13 years.
- Wall Street’s Rental Empire (Laura Gorresdiener, TomDispatch) Hat tip to Rob Carter. This article questions whether the big build-up of institutional ownership of single family housing is a sustainable trend.
- The Solar Bears Are Wrong (Dana Blankenhorn, The Street.com) If this analysis is correct electric power distribution companies are headed for a major bear market.
- How to (Carefully) Play the Aussie Dollar Short Trade—Searching for Alpha for December 2013 (Ben Warwick, ThinkAdvisor) Ben Warwick has contributed to Global Economic Intersection. See also Australian dollar to keep falling (Macro Business)
- From LIBOR to Fed Funds: 5 facts about the interbank lending market in the US (Sober Look) The Federal Home Loan Banks are dominating the overnight Fed Funds lending market. See also GEI News.
- 4 Reasons Japan Could Continue to be the Land of the Rising Stock Market (Russ Koesterich, iShares Blog) Russ Koesterich has contributed to Global Economic Intersection.
- Motivated Numeracy and Enlightened Self-Government (Dan M. Kahan et al, Social Sciences Research Network) Hat tip to Sig Silber. When a set of data said to represent results about something apolitical is reviewed, increasing numeracy correlates with improved understanding of correlations represented. When the same set of data is said to represent results about something that is charged with political dissension, increasing numeracy is correlated to a poorer understanding of the correlations presented. If its political, smart people tend to see more that supports what they believe and less that is contradictory. Here is a link to the full working paper manuscript.
- REUTERS SUMMIT-Short-seller Chanos bearish on oil, coal companies (Katya Wachtel, Reuters)
- Inflation Adjusted Dow (Chart of the Day) There has been a “roof” on the Dow for 13 years.
- The Obama Administration Took The Platinum Coin Option More Seriously Than It Let On (Ryan J. Reilly, The Huffington Post) The following video gives some background, the article tells about the government preparations that have not been public knowledge until now.