Econintersect: Click Read more >> below graphic to see today’s list.
The top of today’s reading list is about preventing the next financial catastrophe…….. and the last two articles discuss the problems created when causality is not proven but assumed in economic systems.
- Preventing The Next Catastrophe: Where Do We Stand? (David Romer, IMF Direct)
- Economic experiments: Abenomics versus Euro-austerity (Yanis Yaroufakis, The Drum Option)
- 128 years of Dow components (CNN Money) Animated timeline – cute.
- Speed Kills (George Packer, The New Yorker) Deadly combo: High frequency trading and Twitter.
- Chart of the Day: Job Growth Better Than You Think (Steven Russolillo, The Wall Street Journal)
- Mirabile Dictu! JP Morgan Finally on Regulatory Hot Seat for Widespread Control Failures and Alleged Lying by Blythe Masters Under Oath (Yves Smith, Naked Capitalism) Great summary of the many charges piling up against JP Morgan Chase.
- San Francisco Gets Scrappy (MSN) 80% of trash diverted from landfill, will be 100% by 2020.
- Will Indexing Kill the Market? (Marshall Jaffe, AdvisorOne)
- Make ‘em Prove the Causality before They Cause Any More Suffering: Part One (Joe Firestone, New Economic Perspectives)
- Make ‘em Prove the Causality before They Cause Any More Suffering: Part Two, the Fall and After (Joe Firestone, New Economic Perspectives)
The two articles above summarize the flagrant violations of scientific principles in the now infamous work of Rogoff and Reinhart. There is a Part 3 coming which we will link in a future reading list or post as a guest article.