Econintersect: Click Read more >> below graphic to see today’s list.
The top of today’s reading list is an article about how a majority of the latest citizen advisory board in China does not belong to the Communist Party …….. and the last article is a wonkish but precise statistical (and factual) smackdown of a widely read IMF paper.
- Non-CPC members make up 60 pct of national advisory body (Harvest Kane) The governing base in China is broadening.
- How Colleges Are Making Income Inequality Worse (Ronald Brownstein, National Journal)
- Noam Chomsky: Will Capitalism Destroy Civilization? (Noam Chomsky, Truthout) Hat tip to Roger Erickson.
- American Conservatism’s Crisis of Ideas (Brad DeLong, Project Syndicate) Brad DeLong has contributed to Global Economic Intersection.
- Stone in shipwreck may be Viking navigators’ tool (Raphael Satter, R&D) See also this video from MSN.
- Ancient Mega-Flood on Mars Revealed in 3-D (Charles Choi and SPACE.com)
- Why Stimulus Has Failed (Raghuram Rajan, Project Syndicate)
- Don’t be fooled: 7.7% is likely a short-lived low in the US unemployment rate (Dean Baker, The Guardian) Dean Baker has contributed to Global Economic Intersection.
- “Some Of These Institutions Have Become Too Large” (Simon Johnson, Baseline Scenario) “The attorney general just told Congress and the country that this principle [equal and impartial justice to all its citizens] no longer applies to very large financial institution.”
- No, the United States Will Never, Ever Turn Into Greece (Matthew O’Brien, The Atlantic) A wonkish but precise statistical (and factual) smackdown of a widely read IMF paper. Countries like the U.S. face no debt tipping point. Read GEI News coverage of this discussion.