Real average hourly earnings fall 0.2% in September 2014

October 22nd, 2014
in econ_news, syndication

from the Bureau of Labor Statistics

Real average hourly earnings for all employees fell 0.2 percent from August to September, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. This result stems from unchanged average hourly earnings combined with a 0.1 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Follow up:


Real average weekly earnings increased by 0.2 percent over the month due to a 0.3 percent increase in the average workweek more than offsetting the decline in real average hourly earnings.

Real average hourly earnings increased by 0.3 percent, seasonally adjusted, from September 2013 to September 2014. This gain in real average hourly earnings, combined with a 0.3 percent increase in the average workweek, resulted in a 0.6 percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Production and nonsupervisory employees

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.1 percent from August to September, seasonally adjusted. This decline stems from no change in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.1 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.4 percent over the month due to the decline in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3 percent decrease in the average workweek. Real average hourly earnings increased 0.7 percent, seasonally adjusted, from September 2013 to September 2014. The increase in real average hourly earnings, combined with a 0.3 percent gain in the average workweek, resulted in a 1.0 percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Table A-1. Current and real (constant 1982-1984 dollars) earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls, seasonally adjusted

Sept.
2013
July
2014
Aug.
2014(p)
Sept.
2014(p)

Real average hourly earnings(1)

$10.29 $10.28 $10.34 $10.32

Real average weekly earnings(1)

$355.12 $354.70 $356.58 $357.16

Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers

233.743 237.909 237.428 237.633

Average hourly earnings

$24.06 $24.46 $24.54 $24.53

Average weekly hours

34.5 34.5 34.5 34.6

Average weekly earnings

$830.07 $843.87 $846.63 $848.74

OVER-THE-MONTH PERCENT CHANGE

Real average hourly earnings(1)

0.0 -0.1 0.6 -0.2

Real average weekly earnings(1)

0.0 -0.1 0.5 0.2

Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers

0.1 0.1 -0.2 0.1

Average hourly earnings

0.1 0.0 0.3 0.0

Average weekly hours

0.0 0.0 0.0 0.3

Average weekly earnings

0.1 0.0 0.3 0.2

OVER-THE-YEAR PERCENT CHANGE

Real average hourly earnings(1)

0.9 0.0 0.5 0.3

Real average weekly earnings(1)

0.9 0.3 0.4 0.6

Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers

1.1 2.0 1.7 1.7

Average hourly earnings

2.0 2.0 2.1 2.0

Average weekly hours

0.0 0.3 0.0 0.3

Average weekly earnings

2.0 2.3 2.1 2.2

Footnotes
[1] The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) is used to deflate the earnings series for all employees.
[2] Preliminary

Table A-2. Current and real (constant 1982-1984 dollars) earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls, seasonally adjusted

Sept.
2013
July
2014
Aug.
2014(p)
Sept.
2014(p)

Real average hourly earnings(2)

$8.78 $8.80 $8.85 $8.84

Real average weekly earnings(2)

$295.10 $296.67 $299.19 $298.02

Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers

230.111 234.118 233.517 233.739

Average hourly earnings

$20.21 $20.61 $20.67 $20.67

Average weekly hours

33.6 33.7 33.8 33.7

Average weekly earnings

$679.06 $694.56 $698.65 $696.58

OVER-THE-MONTH PERCENT CHANGE

Real average hourly earnings(2)

0.0 0.0 0.6 -0.1

Real average weekly earnings(2)

-0.2 0.1 0.8 -0.4

Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers

0.1 0.1 -0.3 0.1

Average hourly earnings

0.2 0.1 0.3 0.0

Average weekly hours

-0.3 0.0 0.3 -0.3

Average weekly earnings

-0.1 0.1 0.6 -0.3

OVER-THE-YEAR PERCENT CHANGE

Real average hourly earnings(2)

1.2 0.3 0.8 0.7

Real average weekly earnings(2)

1.2 0.9 1.2 1.0

Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers

1.0 1.9 1.6 1.6

Average hourly earnings

2.2 2.3 2.5 2.3

Average weekly hours

0.0 0.6 0.3 0.3

Average weekly earnings

2.2 2.9 2.8 2.6

Footnotes
[1] Data relate to production employees in mining and logging and manufacturing, construction employees in construction, and nonsupervisory employees in the service-providing industries. These groups account for approximately four-fifths of the total employment on private nonfarm payrolls.
[2] The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) is used to deflate the earnings series for production and nonsupervisory employees.
(p) Preliminary









Make a Comment

Econintersect wants your comments, data and opinion on the articles posted.  As the internet is a "war zone" of trolls, hackers and spammers - Econintersect must balance its defences against ease of commenting.  We have joined with Livefyre to manage our comment streams.

To comment, just click the "Sign In" button at the top-left corner of the comment box below. You can create a commenting account using your favorite social network such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn or Open ID - or open a Livefyre account using your email address.















 navigate econintersect.com

Blogs

Analysis Blog
News Blog
Investing Blog
Opinion Blog
Precious Metals Blog
Markets Blog
Video of the Day
Weather

Newspapers

Asia / Pacific
Europe
Middle East / Africa
Americas
USA Government
     

RSS Feeds / Social Media

Combined Econintersect Feed
Google+
Facebook
Twitter
Digg

Free Newsletter

Marketplace - Books & More

Economic Forecast

Content Contribution

Contact

About

  Top Economics Site

Investing.com Contributor TalkMarkets Contributor Finance Blogs Free PageRank Checker Active Search Results Google+

This Web Page by Steven Hansen ---- Copyright 2010 - 2016 Econintersect LLC - all rights reserved