Econintersect: Click Read more >> below graphic to see today's list.
The top of today's reading list has discussion (first two items) of the value of the TBTF subsidy for large banks........ and the last article is about charges that Barclays Bank manipulated energy markets.
- Quantifying Structural Subsidy Values for Systemically Important Financial Institutions (Kenichi Ueda and Beatrice Weder di Mauro, IMF, May 2012) See also this. Bloomberg calculates TBTF banks get a subsidy of $83 billion per year. See also article below.
- Bernanke Says U.S. Must End ‘Too Big to Fail’ Bank Subsidy (Bloomberg, 26 March 2013). See also articles above.
- Siberian Caves Reveal Advancing Permafrost Thaw (David Biello, Scientific American)
- Sinopec’s U.S. Shale Deal Struck at Two-Thirds’ Discount (Joe Carroll and Benjamin Haas, Reuters)
- Housing: Some Details on the Business Model for Institutional Buyers (Bill McBride, Calculated Risk) See also GEI News.
- Caltech Physicist: If All Science Were Run Like Marijuana Research, Creationists Would Control Paleontology (Nicole Flatow, Think Progress Justice) Hat tip to Russell Huntley.
- Testimony of Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (SIGTARP) (Christy Romero, 14 February 2013). See also The Political Importance of Elizabeth Warren by Simon Johnson.
- BERNANKE TELLS SENATOR: 'None Of The Things You've Said Is Accurate...' (Rob Wile, Business Insider, 26 February 2013)
- Barclays loses "confidential" treatment of regulatory fight (Reuters, 26 February 2013) Bank accused of energy market manipulation.