Annual Statistical Report on the Social Security Disability Insurance Program, 2011 (released today)
Size and Scope of the Social Security Disability Program
• Disability benefits were paid to just over 9.8 million people.
• Awards to disabled workers (998,980) accounted for over 89 percent of awards to all disabled beneficiaries (1,114,060).
• In December, payments to disabled beneficiaries totaled about $10.4 billion.
• Benefits were terminated for 653,877 disabled workers.
• Supplemental Security Income payments were another source of income for about 1 out of 6 disabled beneficiaries.
Profile of Disabled-Worker Beneficiaries
• Workers accounted for the largest share of disabled beneficiaries (87.5 percent).
• Average age was 53.
• Men represented under 53 percent.
• Mental disorders was the diagnosis for about a third.
• Average monthly benefit received was $1,110.50.
• Supplemental Security Income payments were another source of income for about 1 out of 8.
source and 191 page full report: Social Security Administration