Econintersect: The Occupy Wall Street movement has been criticized for months as an unfocused collection of varied and sundry interests and perspectives. However, out of that seemingly disorganized beginning has developed an organization calling itself “The 99% Declaration.” This is a working group that has organized the general complaints that represented the demonstrations of the fall into a proposed action agenda.
The organization is a working group that is striving to create an action agenda for a National General Assembly to be held in the spring to formally approve a formal petition for a redress of grievances. This ratified petition will be presented to all members of Congress, the President and the Supreme Court and to all candidates seeking federal office in 2012. If the grievances are not addressed the organization will seek to endorse and work for those candidates in 2014 and beyond who pledge to redress the grievances.
The 99% Declaration Working Group has a current list of items under discussion as possible grievances to be present at the NGA for consideration and ratification as the official 99% Declaration. Here is the current working group list of grievances:
- Elimination of the Corporate State.
- Overturning the “Citizens United” Case.
- Elimination of All Private Benefits to Public Servants.
- Term Limits.
- A Fair Tax Code.
- Health Care for All.
- Protection of the Planet.
- Debt Reduction.
- Jobs for All Americans.
- Student Loan Debt Refinancing.
- Ending Perpetual War for Profit.
- Emergency Reform of Public Education.
- End Outsourcing and Currency Manipulation.
- Banking and Securities Reform.
- Foreclosure Moratorium, Mortgage Refinancing and Principle Write Downs.
- Review and Reform of the Federal Reserve Banking System.
- Ending the Electoral College and Enactment of Uniform Federal Election Rules.
- Ending the War in Afghanistan and Care of Veterans.
- No Censorship of the Internet.
- Reinstitution of Civil Rights Including the Repeal of the NDAA.
- Curtailing the Private Prison Industrial Complex.
Hat tip to Dan Flemming.
Leave a Reply