econintersect.com
       
  

FREE NEWSLETTER: Econintersect sends a nightly newsletter highlighting news events of the day, and providing a summary of new articles posted on the website. Econintersect will not sell or pass your email address to others per our privacy policy. You can cancel this subscription at any time by selecting the unsubscribing link in the footer of each email.



posted on 06 November 2015

Covered Calls Extra Income On Long-Term Positions

by Russ Allen, Online Trading Academy Instructor

Online Trading Academy Article of the Week

In last week's article I described a way to build a portfolio at discounted prices using put options. The example I used was GLD, the exchange-traded fund that represents 1/10 ounce of gold per share.

Last week GLD's chart looked like this:

covered call

I mentioned that it would be a reasonable opinion that GLD would represent a buy opportunity in case of a pullback into the $110 area. I described a way to acquire GLD even cheaper than that, which would incidentally allow us to gain some cash flow even if GLD never did drop to $110.

Here is what GLD's chart looked like today:

What is a covered call?

GLD has in fact come down into the demand zone that looks as though it may provide support for a bounce into a new uptrend leg. If we were just starting our portfolio today, and not last week, is there an option strategy that we could use to increase our returns here?

Yes, in fact there is. It is one of the most popular option strategies for good reason. Referred to as the covered call, this strategy involves buying the stock and then selling call options on the stock. The call options provide us with cash today for sure; and in most situations an increased rate of return on our investment.

Let's say that coming upon the GLD chart for the first time today we buy one hundred of the GLD shares at the current price of $109.72. We see the supply zone overhead in the $113-114 area. We believe that GLD will eventually move through that level and continue its uptrend, but that could take several weeks. If it were to happen soon, we would be happy to sell out at that price for a quick profit of $300-400. Then, using our new-found strategy of cash-secured puts from last week we could begin to be paid to wait for the stock to pull back again into a good buy point. And so on.

To get started, we notice that the November calls at the 113 strike price can be sold for $.43 per share. They expire in 22 days. If we sell one of these calls we collect $43 today. If GLD is above $113 at the close of business on November 20, then we will be paid $113 per share for our GLD at that time. Our total proceeds, including the $.43 received for the call, amount to $113.43 per share.

Without the covered call our total proceeds if we were to sell at $113 would be $113. Our profit would be that selling price less our cost of $109.72, for a profit of $3.28 in 22 days. Annualized, that represents a 48% annual return.

With the covered call we still collect the $3.28 profit, but we also received the $.43 for the call for a total profit of $3.71. That would raise our hypothetical annualized return from 48% to 56%. Note that these high annualized returns only occur if in fact GLD goes up and hits our target. What if it doesn't?

Well, let's say that GLD sits right where it is for the next 22 days and closes at $109.72 on November 20. With the share holding alone, we would have a break-even situation - no gain or loss. With the covered call position on the other hand, we have a gain of $.43 per share, an annualized rate of return of about 8% on a stock that did absolutely nothing.

Or, what if GLD went down? Presumably we would identify a stop-loss price at which we would liquidate the position for a small loss, whether we had sold the call or not. Whatever that loss might be, we would still be better off by $.43 with the covered call than we would have been without it.

In fact, the only case in which holding the stock alone pays better than holding the covered call is where the stock rises above the strike price (here $113) by more than the $.43 received for the call. In this instance, that has about an 8% chance of happening based on the volatility of GLD. Put another way, if we own GLD and sell the $113 call there is about a 92% chance that that position will do better than owning GLD alone - pretty good odds.

Finally, selling the covered call has allowed us to create some cash flow from our holding of GLD - like writing ourselves a dividend on a stock that does not pay dividends.

I'm sure you can see that there are definite advantages of using the covered call strategy to increase returns in a portfolio. Done right, it is a powerful tool. Contact your local Online Trading Academy center about our ProActive Investor course where you can learn to write covered calls like a pro.

>>>>> Scroll down to view and make comments <<<<<<

Click here for Historical Investing Post Listing










Make a Comment

Econintersect wants your comments, data and opinion on the articles posted.  As the internet is a "war zone" of trolls, hackers and spammers - Econintersect must balance its defences against ease of commenting.  We have joined with Livefyre to manage our comment streams.

To comment, using Livefyre just click the "Sign In" button at the top-left corner of the comment box below. You can create a commenting account using your favorite social network such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn or Open ID - or open a Livefyre account using your email address.



You can also comment using Facebook directly using he comment block below.





Econintersect Investing


search_box

Print this page or create a PDF file of this page
Print Friendly and PDF


The growing use of ad blocking software is creating a shortfall in covering our fixed expenses. Please consider a donation to Econintersect to allow continuing output of quality and balanced financial and economic news and analysis.


Take a look at what is going on inside of Econintersect.com
Main Home
Analysis Blog
Many (But Not All) Dynamics Improving But Federal Tax Receipts Are Down
The Economic Future of The Berkshires - A Reconsideration
News Blog
Why Doesn't Capital Always Flow To High-Growth Areas?
Trends In Arbitrage-Based Measures Of Bond Liquidity
Is The Next Recession Around The Corner? Probably Not
Investor Alert: Excessive Trading At Investors' Expense
Infographic Of The Day: Chart: How Every Commodity Performed In 2016
Early Headlines: Asia Stocks Mostly Down, Oil And Gold Up, Dollar Down, Obama On 60 Minutes, Brexit Is Getting Harder, Boeing's Big India Order, Shanghai Breaks Support And More
Most Read Articles Last Week Ending 14 January
Technical Update 15 January 2017
U.S. Bombs Dropped On Foreign Soil
Jubilant Ruble And Declining Peso After Trump Election
Americans Think Fake News Has An Impact
With Legal Pot Comes A Problem: How Do We Weed Out Impaired Drivers?
American Cities With The Highest Murder Rates
Investing Blog
Danger Lurks As Extremes Become The Norm
The Week Ahead: Can 4Q Earnings Match Economic Growth?
Opinion Blog
Nature Of Debt Differs Between China, Japan And The U.S.
What If US Importers And Exporters Are Largely The Same?
Precious Metals Blog
Gold's 2016 Gain Indicates A 19% Surge In 2017
Live Markets
16Jan2017 Pre-Market Commentary: Wall Street Closed For MLK Holiday, European Markets Lower, Crude Prices Slip, Investors Await Serious Market Correction As Some Bearish Analysts Claim The Sky Is About To Fall
Amazon Books & More






.... and keep up with economic news using our dynamic economic newspapers with the largest international coverage on the internet
Asia / Pacific
Europe
Middle East / Africa
Americas
USA Government





























 navigate econintersect.com

Blogs

Analysis Blog
News Blog
Investing Blog
Opinion Blog
Precious Metals Blog
Markets Blog
Video of the Day
Weather

Newspapers

Asia / Pacific
Europe
Middle East / Africa
Americas
USA Government
     

RSS Feeds / Social Media

Combined Econintersect Feed
Google+
Facebook
Twitter
Digg

Free Newsletter

Marketplace - Books & More

Economic Forecast

Content Contribution

Contact

About

  Top Economics Site

Investing.com Contributor TalkMarkets Contributor Finance Blogs Free PageRank Checker Active Search Results Google+

This Web Page by Steven Hansen ---- Copyright 2010 - 2017 Econintersect LLC - all rights reserved