April 12th, 2015
by Asif Suria
Insider buying decreased last week with insiders buying $36.59 million of stock compared to $38.72 million in the week prior. Selling also declined slightly with insiders selling $1.08 billion of stock last week compared to $1.09 billion in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week went up to 29.39. In other words, insiders sold more than 29 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares unfavorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 28.15.
We are calculating an adjusted ratio by removing transactions by funds and companies and trying as best as possible only to retain information about insiders and 10% owners who are not funds or companies.
Insider Sell Buy Ratio April 10, 2015
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. AGCO Corporation (AGCO): $47.72
Director Mallika Srinivasan acquired 214,608 shares of this farm & construction machinery company, paying $46.98 per share for a total amount of $10.08 million. These shares were purchased indirectly by Chennai, India based TAFE Motors and Tractors Limited.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for AGCO Corporation here.
|P/E: 10.94||Forward P/E: 15.85||Industry P/E: N/A|
|P/S: 0.43||Price/Book: 1.22||EV/EBITDA: 5.08|
|Market Cap: $4.22B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,114,850||52 Week Range: $41.56 - $59.18|
2. Luby's, Inc. (LUB): $5.34
President and CEO Christopher James Pappas acquired 92,500 shares of this restaurant chain, paying $5.07 per share for a total amount of $468,975. Mr. Pappas increased his stake by 2.53% to 3,755,757 shares with this purchase.
Voluntary Disclosure: I hold a long position in Luby's.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Luby's, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: 66.75||Industry P/E: 34.69|
|P/S: 0.39||Price/Book: 0.9||EV/EBITDA: 13.32|
|Market Cap: $152.46M||Avg. Daily Volume: 45,548||52 Week Range: $4.37 - $6.06|
3. Darden Restaurants, Inc. (DRI): $68.78
Chief Executive Officer Eugene I. Lee acquired 7,600 shares of this restaurant chain, paying $66.29 per share for a total amount of $503,805. Mr. Lee increased his stake by 12.84% to 66,793 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Darden Restaurants, Inc. here.
|P/E: 13.06||Forward P/E: 24.13||Industry P/E: 34.69|
|P/S: 1.29||Price/Book: 3.78||EV/EBITDA: 13.94|
|Market Cap: $8.65B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,497,460||52 Week Range: $43.56 - $70.38|
4. Opko Health, Inc. (OPK): $14.25
CEO & Chairman Phillip Frost M.D. acquired 28,800 shares of this medical devices and drug development company, paying $14.25 per share for a total amount of $410,309. These shares were acquired indirectly by Frost Gamma Investments Trust.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Opko Health, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 57.37|
|P/S: 70.67||Price/Book: 7.32||EV/EBITDA: -68.72|
|Market Cap: $6.44B||Avg. Daily Volume: 3,686,510||52 Week Range: $7.82 - $15.23|
5. Karyopharm Therapeutics, Inc. (KPTI): $32.08
Shares of this clinical-stage pharmaceutical company were acquired by 3 insiders:
- EVP, CFO & Treasurer Justin A. Renz acquired 5,000 shares, paying $29.71 per share for a total amount of $148,557.
- Director Barry E. Greene acquired 3,000 shares, paying $29.31 per share for a total amount of $87,938.
- EVP, WW Development Operations Ran Frenkel acquired 3,000 shares, paying $31.81 per share for a total amount of $95,430.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Karyopharm Therapeutics, Inc. here.
|P/E: N/A||Forward P/E: N/A||Industry P/E: 660.94|
|P/S: 4||Price/Book: 4.97||EV/EBITDA: -12.43|
|Market Cap: $1.14B||Avg. Daily Volume: 368,595||52 Week Range: $23.86 - $49.01|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. Anthem, Inc. (ANTM): $153.92
EVP & Chief Financial Officer Wayne S. DeVeydt sold 114,741 shares of this health benefits company for $155.23, generating $17.8 million from the sale. 64,885 of these shares were sold as a result of exercising options imediately prior to the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Anthem, Inc. here.
|P/E: 17.11||Forward P/E: 14.07||Industry P/E: 32.11|
|P/S: 0.55||Price/Book: 1.7||EV/EBITDA: 6.5|
|Market Cap: $41.06B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,798,490||52 Week Range: $90.75 - $160.64|
2. G-III Apparel Group, Ltd. (GIII): $117.49
Shares of this apparel company were sold by 3 insiders:
- CEO and President Morris Goldfarb sold 100,000 shares for $115.56, generating $11.56 million from the sale.
- Director Bokhorst Willem Van sold 5,300 shares for $114.49, generating $606,797 from the sale.
- Chief Financial Officer/Treas Neal Nackman sold 5,000 shares for $116.00, generating $580,000 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for G-III Apparel Group, Ltd. here.
|P/E: 23.64||Forward P/E: 19.01||Industry P/E: 27.25|
|P/S: 1.25||Price/Book: 3.47||EV/EBITDA: 13.57|
|Market Cap: $2.64B||Avg. Daily Volume: 163,681||52 Week Range: $68.45 - $118.28|
3. Toll Brothers Inc. (TOL): $39.68
Shares of this luxury home builder were sold by 2 insiders:
- Director Bruce E. Toll sold 200,000 shares for $38.98, generating $7.79 million from the sale.
- Chief Executive Officer Douglas C. Yearley Jr. sold 5,000 shares for $40.00, generating $200,000 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Toll Brothers Inc. here.
|P/E: 19.53||Forward P/E: 15.09||Industry P/E: 25.86|
|P/S: 1.7||Price/Book: 1.77||EV/EBITDA: 19.22|
|Market Cap: $6.97B||Avg. Daily Volume: 2,513,550||52 Week Range: $28.92 - $40.33|
4. Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (SIX): $48.88
Chairman, President & CEO James Reid-Anderson sold 148,148 shares of this theme park operator for $48.97, generating $7.25 million from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Six Flags Entertainment Corporation here.
|P/E: 63.81||Forward P/E: 28.75||Industry P/E: 60|
|P/S: 3.82||Price/Book: 20.03||EV/EBITDA: 17.43|
|Market Cap: $4.55B||Avg. Daily Volume: 644,664||52 Week Range: $31.77 - $49.29|
5. Health Net, Inc. (HNT): $57.94
Shares of this health care services company were sold by 4 insiders:
- SVP, Corporate Controller Marie Montgomery sold 52,238 shares for $60.03, generating $3.14 million from the sale. These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- Health Care Services Officer Scott Law sold 27,018 shares for $60.05, generating $1.62 million from the sale.
- Chief Administration Officer Juanell Hefner sold 24,919 shares for $60.04, generating $1.49 million from the sale.
- President, West RegHealth Plan Steven Sell sold 5,461 shares for $60.04, generating $327,878 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Health Net, Inc. here.
|P/E: 32.19||Forward P/E: 14.48||Industry P/E: N/A|
|P/S: 0.32||Price/Book: 2.64||EV/EBITDA: 6.57|
|Market Cap: $4.46B||Avg. Daily Volume: 536,589||52 Week Range: $30.39 - $61.55|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.