Econintersect: Every day our editors collect the most interesting things they find from around the internet and present a summary "reading list" which will include very brief summaries (and sometimes longer ones) of why each item has gotten our attention. Suggestions from readers for "reading list" items are gratefully reviewed, although sometimes space limits the number included.
- Fault Is Shared in Misjudging of ISIS Threat (Peter Baker and Eric Schmitt, The New York Times) Barack Obama has had his George W. Bush moment. Just as the "W" administration was unaware of the imminent 9/11 attack, the Obama White House was taken by surprise by the rise of the Islamic State. It can be debated whether total ignorance (Bush) or total misjudgement (Obama) is worse. Econintersect would suggest that it little matters which - the end result is the same, a blindside. See following articles.
- Obama Dismisses Al-Qaeda Resurgence: They’re JV (Sharona Schwartz, The Blaze) Here is a 9-month old report about Pres. Obama's ill-advised dismissal of Al Qaeda and related jihadists. It discusses specific comments made in the lengthy bio-sketch article: Going the Distance (David Remnick, The New Yorker). Remnick referred to the president's remarks of 07 January about the Islamic State takeover of Fallujah and JV players as "an uncharacteristically flip analogy".
- Spinning Obama’s reference to Islamic State as a ‘JV’ team (Glenn Kessler, The Washington Post) The WaPo gave Four Pinnochios to White House spokesman Josh Ernest's efforts to "spin" the president's January remarks at a press conference on 03 September.
- Obama: U.S. Underestimated Rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria (CBS News) A summary of the 28 September 60 Minutes appearance by the president. A video clip excerpt of almost three minutes is included.
- President Obama: What Makes Us America (CBS 60 Minutes interview) Here is the full interview of almost 18 minutes. (Click on title link if video does not play.)
- Recent articles about Scotland Independence and Other Movements
Catalonia halts independence vote campaign (Al Jazeera)
- Articles about conflicts elsewhere in the world:
Great Firewall of China tasked with keeping Hong Kong conflagration in check (The Conversation)
CDC director: 'No doubt in my mind that we will stop it here' (CNBC) The first Ebola case in the U.S.!!!! Hat tip to Marvin Clark.
Ebola Outbreak in Nigeria Appears to Be Contained (The New York Times)
Ebola-stricken Liberia is descending into economic hell (The Washington Post)
Three soldiers who fought in Gaza war commit suicide (ynet news.com)
Turkey moves to use force in Syria and Iraq (USA Today)
Turkey’s unique approach to the Syrian refugee crisis is creaking badly (The Conversation)
Netanyahu: Iran greater threat than ISIL (Al Jazeera)
Iran 'to militarily assist' Lebanon army (Al Jazeera)
What toppled Lenin statues tell us about Ukraine’s crisis (The Washington Post)
There are 16 articles discussed today 'behind the wall'.
Do not miss "Other Economics and Business Items of Note", the final section every day.
Please support all that we do at Global Economic Intersection with a subscription to our premium content 'behind the wall'.
There are between 75 and 100 articles reviewed most weeks. That is in addition to the 140-160 articles of free content we provide.
You get a full year for only $25.
The rest of the post is for our premium content subscribers - Click here to continue reading. If you have forgotten your login or password - send an email to info at econintersect.com.