Econintersect: Click Read more >> below graphic to see today's list.
The top of today's reading list discusses the battles that shaped Dodd-Frank ........ and the tenth article shows how hotel occupancy has returned to pre-crisis levels. The 11th (bonus) article documents how price action and MACD (moving average convergence divergence) are diverging for the first time since the second half rally started in July.
- The Battles That Shaped Dodd-Frank (Gil Weinreich, ThinkAsdvisor)
- Workers' wages drop for first time in four years (The Local, 19 December 2013) Hat tip to David Sciacero, Newsana. German workers feel the bite of deflation.
- Retirement Reality Check: Which Rules Still Matter? (Scott Wenger and Rachel F. Elson, Financial Planning) Some rules need to be constantly examined and broken at times and others are pure mythology.
- Public and Private Sector Payroll Jobs: Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama (Bill McBride, Calculated Risk) If we didn't have "big government Obama" but Reagan, either Bush, or Clinton instead, we would have between 1 an 2 million more people employed.
- The Year of the Horse: 3 Reasons Chinese Stocks Could Gallop Ahead in 2014 (Russ Koesterich, Advisor Perspectives) Russ Koesterich has contributed to Global Economic Intersection.
- $25 Million in Financing for Coinbase (Nathaniel Popper, The New York Times) Venture capital is betting big on bitcoin.
- Is This Plane the Biggest Pentagon Rip-Off of All Time? (Dave Gilson, Mother Jones) Hat tip to Roger Erickson.
- Hubble spots water spurting from Europa (Alexandra Witze, Nature) Jupiter's moon Europa seems to have icy geysers similar to those found on Saturn's moon Enceladus.
- Steven Hansen answers questions about the present and future of the economy (Interview by Jaime Ortega, TDJ World News)
- Hotel Occupancy Rate increases 0.2% year-over-year in latest Survey (Bill McBride, Calculated Risk) Hotel occupancy is one area were the new normal looks like the old normal.
Click on graph for larger image at Calculated Risk.
- Profit Play on the Great Disappearing “Corporate Earnings Growth” Act (Sasha Cekerevac, Daily Gains Letter) Hat tip to Advisor Perspectives dshort.com. For the first time in the rally from July the price chart and MACD are diverging.