Econintersect: Click Read more >> below graphic to see today's list.
The top of today's reading list has a summary of Angela Merkel's campaign kick-off ........ and the last article is about massive write-offs for gold miners.
- Merkel Promises Austerity Abroad, Profligacy at Home (Charles Hawlet, Der Spiegel) A 21st century Marie Antoinette.
- Elite New York Law Firm Has Massive Layoff (Erin Fuchs, Business Insider) Hat tip to Russell Huntley.
- SEC needs up to 2,000 — not 250 — new examiners for advice coverage (Mark Schoeff Jr, Investment News)
- Lost Decade for Bonds Looms With Growing Return for Equities (Susanne Walker, Bloomberg) Views from Lazlo Birinyi.
- My Biggest Mistake (John Bogle, Morningstar Conference, Investment News) Video:
- 80% of Pre-Packaged Foods in America Are Banned in Other Countries (Yahoo! Shine) Hat tip to Russell Huntley.
- Status report on the US economy. Recession? Collapse? (Fabius Maximus) Fabius Maximus contributes to Global Economic Intersection.
- 76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck (Angela Johnson, CNNMoney)
- Chinese Stocks Drop To Lowest Since Jan 2009; Down 20% From Feb Highs (Tyler Durden, Zero Hedge)
- Gold Miner Writedowns at $17 Billion After Newcrest (David Stringer and Liesel Hill, Bloomberg) New joke: A gold mine is a hole in the ground in which you bury money.