June 10th, 2011
Econintersect: The NY Fed released an archive newsreel made in 1937 of the opening of the Federal Reserves Washington headquarters now called the Eccles Building. It was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt with then Federal Reserve Board Chairman Marriner S. Eccles was in attendance. In 1982, the Constitution Avenue building was renamed in his honor.
More interior pictures of the structure are available (here).
Construction began in 1935, twenty-two years after the creation of the Federal Reserve System and following the Board of Governors’ decision to consolidate its Washington, D.C., staff into one central building. The new $3.5 million structure, was a “modernist interpretation of the Beaux-Arts style”.